less casters for the encounter ?

Did we screw up on killing the 8th son
both times instead of keeping him up and
jusing JoW to mana up ?

Did we get FR gear at the expense of
compromising stats ?

As a caster, I've come to the conlcusion that
going for about unbuffed 175FR with the
best possible stats is what one should shoot for. The UBRS buff, mage armor and gift of
the wild take you up the rest of the way.

Mage specific: could we have done better
on mana efficiency if we all had frost
channeling as part of our spec and used
frostbolts instead of Arcane Missiles to get
him ?
-- 
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=Stormhole

Raperty
Default Avatar
Wadafunk!
oh shut up storm.....

we got him down thats what counts Smiler

we could do better YES

its like our first kill what so ever we do need to improve our aproach on SoF cause we did have some running arround, so not the best.

yes i guess mages can do more with frost.

Either way we did very well againts RAG. and i bet next encounter wont be ez 2, but we know what it takes to kill him.

Did we not DPS him enough before the first
spawn ?

YES we did 51% on the first SoF call

Could we have done better with more rogues and
less casters for the encounter ?

I say it all depends on the gear.

Did we screw up on killing the 8th son
both times instead of keeping him up and
jusing JoW to mana up ?

To be honest most of the raid didnt realize that i know u did i did and some of us did but not everyone so there was a lack of expertiness there.
8P

Did we get FR gear at the expense of
compromising stats ?

We all do. but we all tryying to have the best FR and the best DMG possible.

we did pretty good

i can tell that locks did pretty well and mages rogues druids everyone did an awesome job last week

still we can do better, but it will keep comming with more practice.

CHEER!!!
-- 
70 Human Warlock
WTS CELINE NORRIS PST

Skor_Taran
Default Avatar
NE Hunter 225 FR 300 Enchanter 300 Dragonscale Leatherworker
Class composition? Fine.

DPS? Fine and will improve as our gear improves as a raid group.

Fire resist vs. stats? Fine and will improve as our gear and experience improves.

Screw up on the sons? Not even close. They died. Few of us died. Wasn't perect but was far from flawed.

It was not a flawless victory but it was solid proof that we are "there." The fight will get easier as our gear improves and as each player becomes more and more comfortable with the timing of the fight. The victory demonstrated, to me, that we know what we need to do and when to do it - we just need to be more effecient about it now.

I see no need for changes to the raid composition nor the fight strategy. We just need to do the same thing, next time, and become more effecient at what we did.

Stormhole
Default Avatar
Bald guy
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to detract
from what we pulled of, mere want to tune it.
It was a spectacular performance on many
fronts.

I remember in the earlier days when we did the
Geddon and Garr fights, we messed up, and then
we gradually started learning.

Look at Domo for example, we consistently
one shot him now without the slightest of
hiccups. Newcomers to the group at the end
of the fight say.. I heard this fight was supposed to be hard ?

Just want to figure out ways to get the
Rags to that level. Smiler
-- 
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=Stormhole

Shisatsu
Default Avatar
Lead Emeritus
It seemed to me that most of what you're pointing out weren't really big issues. The thing that I noticed is that we still haven't mastered the timing on the second sons spawn. We collapsed a minute early if I recall correctly, an amount of time I'm almost positive we could've eliminated his last 9% in and avoided the second sons spawn completely.
-- 
蛇翼崩天刃!

Kilguren
I have killed rags twice now so please take that into consideration when reading this.

What we accomplished on Sunday was nothing short of incredible and i dont think you guys really know how special that was. 95-99% of the guilds attempting to kill ragnaros for the first time would have given up once ragnaros dived the second time. When doing this for silence...it wasnt even a question, we had to get him down to 30% before first sons and he HAD to be dead before second sons....peroid.

What happened saturday took more coordination and teamwork than almost all the guild that have already beaten him. With our current gear level, raid composition, and DPS we had to be perfect to kill him. We were.

From here on out this will only get easier. We know we can live through 2 sons spawns with a large majority of our force....one sons spawn will be drop dead easy.

I'm always a proponent of seeing how things can be done better. But the truth of the matter is that we were perfect sunday. I dont think we could have done anything better. I think we would have killed him without the ony buff....maybee without the BRS buff.

Brian
Default Avatar
I think the largest concern I had when hearing specifics about the Ragnaros defeat is usage of the Onyxia buff. The Onyxia buff has never seemed to be a certainty even if one holds the head. Can we be certain of the Onyxia buff if the person who wins the head is not slotted for the Ragnaros run? Do the other MC guilds use Onyxia buff on every Ragnaros run?

The second concern I have is there is no overall tactic posting that solidifies the Leftovers Ragnaros approach. Can we get a strategy document similar to the Onyxia document? I am certain the collapse/sons method has been tuned since I last participated on a practice run. It would be nice to be fully prepared.

- Tallivai

Skor_Taran
Default Avatar
NE Hunter 225 FR 300 Enchanter 300 Dragonscale Leatherworker
I think the Onyxia buff was a benefit but I think it was FAR from crucial to our victory. I am certain we would have won, on the fist attempt, without it. It would have taken a bit longer, but we would have been as victorious. Thus, I'm not worried about having it/lacking it for future attempts.

I think the BRS FR buff was instrumental in our victory and should factor into our future attempts, for the time being, since it did allow peopple to swap out some gear for more effectiveness rather than fire resist. Until our gear is universally better as a raid group, I think the BRS buff is important. Eventually, however, it will no longer be needed (and I don't expect "eventually" to be too long from now...).

Krystan
Default Avatar
I think the UBRS buff and the FR potions were the winning factors, the ONY buff was nice, but not mission critical.

Lacus_Clyne
Default Avatar
Fidei Defensor
I'd have to agree with the timer issue: had the timer not gone off a minute early, we could very well have slain Ragnaros without enduring (and surviving!) a second Sons spawn.

As it stands, the fact that we as a group persevered through a second Sons spawn and never gave up, whereas other guilds might've thrown in the towel, has earned us the respect of other raid groups that have defeated Ragnaros. I think that means a lot.

It's important not to rest on one's laurels; even with a fait accompli, it's always good to look back and see which aspects could be fine-tuned to deliver an even better performance. The fact that we can drop Majordomo more reliably is no doubt due to this fine-tuning process.

Storm isn't trying to detract from our victory, far from it. He just wants us to become even more kick-@$$. Wink

Raperty
Default Avatar
Wadafunk!
YAY!!!!!

WE rock!!!

group HUG!!
-- 
70 Human Warlock
WTS CELINE NORRIS PST

Marenka
Magical Girl
I remember when we wiped regularly on Magmadar.

Since then, we've fine tuned things, discovered new things and worked it out so that Magmadar is practically an autonomous function for everyone involved.

It'll take some time. We went through 2 sons spawns because we're a very healer-heavy raid group. We can just heal through the Sons, no big deal. When the 2nd sons spawned, and almost *nobody* died, that was amazing, and then we dropped him-- and that was even more amazing.

We'll still wipe on Ragnaros. We'll still have trouble. But in a few weeks, we'll be farming him like the Molten Giants. We'll have people screwing around and shouting ' DPS MAX ' when they're paladins, druids going Feral form, priests mind flaying him and Warriors tanking him with a 2h.

Soon we'll start whining about what he drops, shouting out what we want from him as he dies, and laughing about it before we port to IF.

Lacus_Clyne
Default Avatar
Fidei Defensor
DPS MAX! *ducks*

Marenka
Magical Girl
quote:
Originally posted by Lacus Clyne:
DPS MAX! *ducks*

EARTHSHAKE INC!!!!

Marenka
Magical Girl