Raiding Forums Navigation Leftovers Information

Sample Rogue Builds for the Core

Elofax
Holy Assassin of Elune
Rogues have seen this thread already, but at the request of other people working on rogue builds here we go. Starting things off with my own current build.

Assassination: 30 points
Improved Eviscerate 3/3: increases damage of your #1 finishing move
Malice 5/5: increases crit chance, more damage and more combo points from Seal Fate
Ruthlessness 3/3: more combo points
Improved Slice'n'Dice 3/3: alternate 2-pt snds with 5-pt evisces to increase white damage
Relentless Strikes 1/1: more energy generation
Lethality 5/5: damage increase on ss
Improved Instant Poison 4/4: mostly point filler, but nice when fighting stuff vulnerable to poison
Cold Blood 1/1: auto crit 5-pt evis every 3 minutes--great to get 4 or 5 points fighting two nearby mobs, pop Blade Flurry, Cold Blood, and crit evis both mobs
Seal Fate 5/5: fast combo point generation to keep evis and snd coming

Combat: 21 points
Improved Sinister Strike 2/2: reduce energy cost of #1 spam ability
Lightning Reflexes 5/5: increase dodge for ae cleaves and stomps
Deflection 1/5: point filler, but increases parry
Precision 5/5: increase chance to hit, pre-req for dual wield spec
Improved Evasion 2/2: evasion lasts 4 seconds longer, can save your life if you pull aggro or are fighting a lava reaver
Dual Wield Specialization 5/5: more offhand damage
Blade Flurry 1/1: increase white damage every 2 minutes, plus hit nearby mobs with ss/evis

Alterations for someone who pvps more:
Drop Lightning Reflexes 5/5
Drop Improved Evasion 2/2
Add Improved Gouge 3/3
Add Deflection 5/5 (instead of 1/5)
Possibly replace Improved Instant Poison 4/5 with Improved Kidney Shot 3/3 and/or ranks in Remorseless Attacks

Elofax
Holy Assassin of Elune
The alternative sword rogue build relies on Adrenaline Rush instead of Seal Fate:

Assassination: 20 points
Improved Eviscerate 3/3
Malice 5/5
Ruthlessness 3/3: Keeping this helps mitigate the loss of Seal Fate somewhat
Improved Slice'n'Dice 3/3
Ruthlessness 1/1
Lethality 5/5

Combat: 31 points
Improved Sinister Strike 2/2
Lightning Reflexes 3/5: Mostly to qualify for other abilities, as parry becomes more important in this build to get Riposte
Deflection 5/5
Precision 5/5
Riposte 1/1: Special attack after parrying, increased damage and disarm
Dual Wield Specialization 5/5
Blade Flurry 1/1
Sword Specialization 5/5: Increases white damage by granting extra attacks, taking this probably means you want to keep a sword in the offhand instead of a dagger
Aggression 3/3: Increase ss/evis damage, very nice
Adrenaline Rush 1/1: Double energy regen every 6 minutes, greatly increasing ss/evis during that time

Suggested pvp modifications similar to previous build, chiefly ditching Lightning Reflexes for Improved Gouge

Elofax
Holy Assassin of Elune
Galfuric's Ultimate Dagger Rogue Pwnage build, courtesy of Allakhazam:

Assassination: 30 points
Improved Eviscerate 3/3
Remorseless Attacks 5/5: (Personally I'd replace 3 points of this with Imp SnD 3/3, but this talent is good for mass pvp and quick mob pulls)
Malice 5/5
Ruthlessness 3/3
Murder 2/2: Since dagger rogues rely more on ambush, this helps
Relentless Strikes 1/1
Lethality 5/5
Cold Blood 1/1
Seal Fate 5/5

Combat: 8 points
Improved Gouge 3/3: Gouge is key when soloing, as it keeps the mob/player stunned long enough for you to regen energy and backstab--if you're pure MC build, consider Lightning Reflexes 3/5 instead
Improved Backstab 3/3: +30% crit rate using backstab instead of ss takes even more advantage of Seal Fate

Subtlety: 13 points
Master of Deception 5/5: Makes you harder to detect in stealth, great for pvp--alternately get Camouflage 5/5 to move faster when stealthed, which can increase your chances of getting into ambush range before getting hit by an ae attack
Opportunity 5/5: Increased ambush/bs damage
Improved Ambush 3/3: Increased ambush crit rate

Gal's build as it stands is already pretty optimized for pvp, as you can ask anyone who has been duel-pwned by Galfuric while he's naked except for his weapons. =D I inserted MC-specific suggested substitutions when discussing the talents above.

Elofax
Holy Assassin of Elune
And finally, a pre-MC build which features Improved Sap, an absolutely wonderful ability to have for 5-manning lesser instances (this is what I was using before I specced pure MC).

Assassination: 31 points
Improved Eviscerate 3/3
Malice 5/5
Ruthlessness 3/3
Murder 2/2
Improved Slice'n'Dice 2/3
Relentless Strikes 1/1
Lethality 5/5
Improved Kidney Shot 3/3: Being able to stun things more often is great against stunnable mobs, especially with only 5 players
Cold Blood 1/1
Seal Fate 5/5
Vigor 1/1: Since I had a spare point, I said meh and took the end talent

Combat: 2 points

Subtlety: 18 points
Master of Deception (or Camouflage) 5/5
Opportunity 5/5
Initiative 5/5: Increased combo points from openers, goes well with Seal Fate--someone who uses ambush more often would be better off with Improved Ambush 3/3 and Initiative 2/5
Improved Sap 3/3: Nothing like being able to sap and stay stealthed when 5-manning Scarlet Strat pre-nerf; can also be fun for pvp, and one of the funniest things I ever saw was when some goober randomly challenged me to a duel at the dock in Menethil Harbor, and I kept imp sapping him until the boat started to leave, at which point I hopped the boat and ditched him =D

Elofax
Holy Assassin of Elune
This is Starlear's build. He says: "Anyone who has raided with me in MC knows that I usually end up in the top 5 damage dealers and I have not a single epic. Im putting an Asterisk near talents that are optional and can have the points put elsewhere."

Assassination: 31 points

3/3 Improved Evisc.
4/5 Remorseless Attacks* I mainly have this because I do a fair amount of PvP too. And it works there. +32% crit on your next backstab after a kill is uber.
2/2 Murder
3/3 Ruthlessness (Because hey...free combo pts!)
1/1 Relentless Strikes (Because Hey...free energy!)
1/5 Improved Expose Armor* 100% pvp based, but its nice in a party when you have a paladin MT in a smaller instance.
5/5 Malice (Because hey...free crit)
5/5 Lethality (Because hey...free damage)
1/1 Cold Blood (Because it's godly)
5/5 Seal Fate (Fast Combo point generation is useful in PvP and PvE)
1/1 Vigor (Vigor opens up new combinations and over time it lets you get more attacks in faster...any time you find yourself having less than 10 energy is a time you'd have to wait an extra 2 seconds before your next attack. Plus I'm sure I dont need to get into how awesome having 120 energy with 5 nightslayer would be.)

Combat: 8

2/2 Improved Sinister Strike
3/3 Improved Gouge
3/3 Improved Backstab

- If you wanted to go more PvE, then go 5/5 Lightning reflexes before improved backstab...but SS/Gouge are useful too, just not in MC (if you're dagger centric).

Subtlety: 12

5/5 Master of Deception* Alternate this with Camouflage if you want.
5/5 Opportunity
2/3 Improved Ambush - I used to worry that not having the full 45% bonus would hurt me overall, but in practice to me and in my opinion, I definately enjoy the 10 energy more than I enjoyed the 15% ambush crit...especially in the core with not really using ambush more than MAYBE once.