Raiding Forums Navigation Leftovers Information

Leftovers Channel (again)

This topic has 42 posts over 3 pages: 1 2 3
Dulin
Marksman 4 Life - TAKIN' IT BACK
Hi, folks, Dulin again. (But you knew that.)

Guys, we've started to get complaints about the /Leftovers channel again. Now, you know I enjoy a lot of the rollicking conversations we get into, but sometimes, it does get to be a little overmuch. So, the Leads (both levels) have talked about it some, and we're going to be asking you guys to remember that the channel does have rules, and by and large, those rules are the same ones that go back to pre-BC LO.

First: No explicit sexual stuff. Really, folks, take that stuff to LOCyber. If the channel doesn't exist anymore, it will once you guys /join it.

Second: Try to keep the swearing to the kind of things you'd see in a PG-13 movie, or an episode of NYPD Blue (For those of you who don't remember it, swear about 1/3 as much as on The Shield).

Third: Harrassment and 'Hate Speech'. Don't do it. I don't care if it's Hebreukles making Jewish jokes. I don't care if it's my off-the-boat-from-Warsaw grandfather making Polish jokes (well, he's dead, so if THAT happens, I'm running away). Just don't go there on /Leftovers. And if someone asks you to stop, or to let something drop, please, PLEASE, be the bigger person, and let it go. If you don't think the request is fair, say so, but please, at least consider letting it go just the same. If someone else is doing something, and you want them to stop, just ask them to. If they don't, then /ignore 'em. Don't harangue them and hassle them and be even more disruptive. If it's something that definitely shouldn't be going on, say something to a lead. Screenshot it. We will take care of it.

Fourth: World Bosses. LO has a long tradition of not discussing world bosses on the channel. When they are referenced, it is by codename. Azuregos should not be mentioned. He is 'Bluejay'. Kazzak is 'Creampuff'. Henceforth, Doomwalker shall be... Doomwalker. :P Let's face it, the world boss stuff isn't an issue anymore. I still think 'Bluejay' is much cooler than 'Azuregos', though. ;)

Fifth: Raids. LOP raids looking to fill a slot or two checking on the /Leftovers channel is fine. Non-LOP Raids to 25-man instances doing the same thing is not fine. I know it seems like it's a double standard. That's because it is. We do have to protect the investment of time, effort, and dedication that people make in this community, after all.

Sixth: Play Nice. Nobody wants me to have to turn this MMO around and put you all back in EQ.
-- 
FIXME: http://i.imgur.com/dKZjT3D.png

Magi
Default Avatar
Why do we have to refer to world bosses by code names ?

Dae
Miniature Giant Space Pony
Magi, it used to be the case that guilds and raid groups competed rather drastically for world boss spawns; at that time most groups used code names in attempt to avoid another group sniping the kill before a planned raid.

I believe Dulin's point was that this is no longer necessary, and that people should not jump all over those who speak of a world boss literally these days - the code names are cute, but they don't matter much at this point. :)
-- 
World of Warcraft (Alliance):
Daenyx - shadow priest; Daeriel - restoration druid, Heleg Anar
SWTOR (Empire):
Daenyx - sith sorcerer; Daevia - powertech, Lawful Evil

Alisia
Now with 100% more height
quote:
Originally posted by Dae:
Magi, it used to be the case that guilds and raid groups competed rather drastically for world boss spawns; at that time most groups used code names in attempt to avoid another group sniping the kill before a planned raid.

As far as I knew at the time only LO used the code names on this server.

Everyone else sort of just said in guild, started poking people on msn/ventrillo, and then they turned up.

That said... it's sad that this keeps being an issue.

But then some of the stuff that is talking about being stopped is the "chatter" that was supposed to "stay in /leftovers"
-- 
Ghostcrawler: "Rogue talents are hard because the class is ultimately very mathy."

Ghostcrawler is secretly Barbie?

Agbaar
Default Avatar
Talkative Mage<Seekers>
quote:
Originally posted by Alisia:
As far as I knew at the time only LO used the code names on this server.

This was true, though only LO needed to - not being a guild and lacking private channels, it wasn't uncommon (and frankly, was encouraged in terms of community building) for various people from some of the raiding guilds to be on the channels, which meant that information there was leaky.

Code names were never more than a slight bit of obscurity (I'm not sure we ever had evidence that it did much), but every bit helped, as the theory went.
-- 
Agbaar
Caster Lead Emeritus / Former Sign-up Grunt

Darckence
Cloth: Not just for Paladins
Even back in the day I think the code-names for world bosses were basically used as a joke (AFAIK). It wasn't exactly a hard code to crack :p. But the world bosses used to be very serious business indeed, and I know there was some concern about announcing they were up in the Leftovers channel when members of Silence and TRS used to lurk there (not necessarily with nefarious intentions mind you, but of course no one ever knew for sure). Not to mention the irritations of sifting through the 80-100 people in the channel to form up a 40-man raid, especially when a big chunk of the channel would be there for social reasons, never raided before, and would quite merrily wipe a green dragon raid back when people really needed the NR for Huhu in AQ40. Ah the good old days.

The basic rule was to not talk about world bosses in the LO channel. Better safe than sorry, although of course completely irrelevant now like 2.5 years on :p.
-- 
Livueta ~ Hunter
Ameranthe ~ Warrior
Darckence ~ Druid

kaeble
Default Avatar
Yeah they were used because there was alot of competition for world boss kills. Everyone had an alt that watched for them. Back before TBC, the bosses actually dropped very good gear and useful gear to instances. The green dragons were the big ones for groups in AQ40 since they provided nature resistant gear. We had races to all the dragons between LOs, TRS, Silence, Wartorn, and another horde group I can't remember. We would never say the name of the boss in leftovers channel. The history lesson for today is done. Go read up on the Theris's pvp drama threads and we will talk about that tomorrow. :P

Edit: I am slow.
-- 
I have nothing.

Alisia
quote:
Originally posted by Darckence:
Even back in the day I think the code-names for world bosses were basically used as a joke (AFAIK).

Ehh...

No, people would get yelled at, or at least chewed out for not using the code name or for having any mention in open channels.

ESPECIALLY for the dragons.

This was to avoid griefing and competition in a lot of cases. A lot of this stemming from clashes over Azuregos and Kazzak with Silence and TRS. The ones that come to mind are Silence tapping Azuregos and then keeping him active with a few people while the raid assembled. Or the one where because 75% of our raid didn't have CTRA, Kahlil was having to yell to not attack Azuregos after a teleport. So he got reported for spamming. At the same time, a few of the TRS people who were watching (Silence and Wartorn were also there) were heckling so one of them got reported for that.

Interestingly both Kahlil and the TRS person both got temp banned, but at different times. So the TRS guy literally got banned during the middle of their first solo Rags kill...
-- 
Ghostcrawler: "Rogue talents are hard because the class is ultimately very mathy."

Flufkin
Chaotic Good in a tiny, pointy package
Once when I was an LO newb and saw "bluejay" up, I went into the LO channel and said something about it, just trying to help - but had NO idea that I shouldn't have done so.. but I got smacked down fast for it.

I had no idea that other raid groups would be lurking in the LO channel, and would go running off with the new knowledge that Azuragos was up!!

I felt really embarrassed, and probably still, to this day, would not mention a world boss in LO chat (if I were to log in to LO chat).

Of course, the funny part of this story, is that I was mistaken in the first place, way back then. It was just the Spirit of Azuragos, that was there for the quest line, not the actual dragon spawned.

I really hope someone lurking in the channel DID get a raid group together for it.

heh. =D

---

all in all, yeah, I'm thinking bluejay and creampuff, and the suparsekrit "doomwalker", aren't the problems being addressed here. ;)

-- 
Flufkin - Gnome Rogue
Pentkin - Gnome Warrior
Dewkin - Gnome Mage
Flufkin SWTOR - Cyborg Trooper Commando

Alisia
quote:
Originally posted by Flufkin:
all in all, yeah, I'm thinking bluejay and creampuff, and the suparsekrit "doomwalker", aren't the problems being addressed here. ;)

Nope it isn't (and I actually remember you getting "smacked down", heh). The point is that the stuff you (generic) want to go away is the stuff that doesn't help to build a community.

And I'm going to bite my tongue on one of the subjects that was brought up, since I know it has a fairly... vocal group of supporters (in favor of it's continuing presence).
-- 

Alinna
Scout
I think we should refer to Doomwalker as "Fancypants".

That is all.

Chansobal
Default Avatar
Protpvpenthusiast
quote:
Originally posted by Alinna:
I think we should refer to Doomwalker as "Fancypants".

That is all.

^ that
-- 
FIXME: http://i57.tinypic.com/257nhv4.pngFIXME: http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img536/4821/lltHW4.pngFIXME: http://i57.tinypic.com/zluubm.png

Roberth
Holy "Diver!" Priest
Warning! Theris sighting on IQD! Avengers assemble...hooooooooo!
-- 
FIXME: http://sigcdn.siglaunch.com/sigs/wow/9/2/3/8/7/5492387wHAVy.png
My Pet Collection

Pantzeri
Client 10
My stance on these rules are as follows:

Boobies
-- 
Coming Soon: Ret, in SPACEEEEEEEEEEE

Eitan
Default Avatar
It would be delightful not to have to drop the channel any time children are awake in the house.

Following these requests is greatly appreciated by at least some of us.

Pages: 1 2 3