Raiding Forums Navigation Leftovers Information

Why Marines Guard the Pearly Gates

This topic has 34 posts over 3 pages: 1 2 3
GreySpectre
is mindcontrolled
<lib1790> so, at this college there was an extra credit question "Is hell endothermic or exothermic"
<lib1790> this is what one kid wrote:
<lib1790> First, we postulate that if souls exist, then they must have some mass.
If they do, then a mole of souls can also have a mass. So, at what rate are souls moving into hell and at what rate are souls leaving? I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.
<lib1790>As for souls entering hell, lets look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to hell. Since, there are more than one of these religions and people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all people and all souls go to hell.
With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in hell to increase exponentially.
<lib1790> Now, we look at the rate of change in volume in hell. Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in hell to stay the same, the ratio of the mass of souls and volume needs to stay constant.
<lib1790>So, if hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter hell, then the temperature and pressure in hell will increase until all hell breaks loose (i.e.,Hell is exothermic).
<liv1790>Of course, if hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in hell, than the temperature and pressure will drop until hell freezes over (i.e.,Hell is endothermic).
<lib1790>So which is it? If we accept the postulate given by Ms.Therese Banyan during my freshman year, "That it will be a cold night in hell before I go out with you," and take into account the fact that I still have not succeeded in having a relationship with her, the second case cannot be true. Therefore, hell is exothermic.
<lib1790> the kid was the only one who got credit

Targonne
Rogue Squadron - Token Dwarf - Sad Zombie
heh

Modhelm
quote:
Originally posted by Catteeka:
I'm atheist, and not that I really took it seriously, but I think it's kind of ironic that the professor's statement--a blatantly disrespectful and ignorant fallacy that it may have been (and the marine's rebuttal was no better)--was met with physical violence. That's all I'll say. Smiler
Catt thinks like I do.

Maybe my bog-standard american public university is totally unique, but I've had one professor I can identify as atheist, and that was an oddball 5 person class where we all knew each other enough that class was occasionally held in a coffee shop. Where does this stereotype come from?

Plato
Default Avatar
Mediation Team Arcane mage
My English 150 class comes to mind
-- 
Bring a mage to a tank fight.

Arkhain
ne cede malis
I thought it was kinda dumb. Religions beliefs or lack thereof aside, the professor and the soldier both acted... dumb. It's so juvenile. Expecting God to prove himself (operative word of religion being faith) by.. standing on a desk? Dumb. The soldier? Assaulting a professor, justifying it by saying that because God-failing separation-of-church-and-state is busy killing Iraqi citizens, he's sent on a holy crusade to push old people around? Dumb too. That whole thing was just, argh, frustratingly dumb. I feel dumber for reading this dumb exchange between a dumb professor (I think Philosophy 101 was too much for him) and a dumb soldier (the stereotype all of our military as dumb continues).

I'm, personally, nonreligious, and primarly a deist. I just think, that the story was plagued with dumb.
-- 
ArkhainNiahkra

Plato
Default Avatar
Mediation Team Arcane mage
To be fair the soldier never claims God is defending American soldiers in Iraq.

I have been a religious pluralist since I left the religion I was raised in over philosophical differences, regardless having had to deal with a similarly radical teacher (though over slightly different issues) I see the "marine" in this story as having given the professor exactly what he needed.

Religious preaching in classes is entirely unacceptable. I see preaching for any single religion, group of similar religions, or against all religions, by an educator as equally wrong and immoral. Thats not to say religous debate is in anyway wrong, but for someone placed in a position of authority for the purpose of instruction, to use that platform as a means to convince others of the rightness of their own beliefs, especially on an unrelated subject, is wrong and should not be tolerated. And yes I believe that Athiesm is just as much a belief as any other religon because it is also impossible to prove that God (genericlly defined) does not exist.
-- 
Bring a mage to a tank fight.

GreySpectre
is mindcontrolled
if i was a true story (which it isnt) then depending on the class the teacher may have been doing it to prove a point, however assuming he was , it is a rather offensive way to go about proving the point. however that still gives the marine no right to punch him

I don't know why I even care when it didnt happen anyways :P

Jerilynn
Up in yo grill
If that was a true story, the professor would have sued the shit out of the guy, and we would have heard about it all over the news... "Soldier attacks teacher, blah blah blah", and it would have more news time than anything important, say, a bill passed that does away with Habeus Corpus if you're "a threat to the country". 'cause that's the way this country is.

Kavanagh, <3 snopes.com
-- 
FIXME: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/pargonpargon/Misc/onyxia-dots-jay-nods.gif
FIXME: http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/wowfoundation/Vael.jpg?t=1203779775
Jerilynn - Lvl 85 Human Priest, Dahliah - Lvl 85 Draenei Paladin, Dagros - Lvl 80 Tauren Deathknight

Toragan
Default Avatar
The not so serious paladin
quote:
Originally posted by GreySpectre:
I fail to see how the professor was "acting like an idiot"

If someone came into a room full of people with different beliefs and faiths knowing full well how strongly many feel about said beliefs and faiths then acted in that manner then yes I would call them an idiot.Wink Nor would I be overly surprised if someone decked said person for it. All the laws in the world won't make you eat any less dirt if you push the wrong person the wrong way.Wink
-- 
FIXME: http://i37.tinypic.com/2qi4ad4.jpg

BrittinC
Default Avatar
Grand Exterminator of steely eyed cock masters.
I'm an athiest and a Marine and I endorse this joke.
-- 
------------------------------
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber.
-- Sir Winston Churchill

FIXME: http://www.brittincruthers.com/images/Johnny2.JPG

Renmazuo
Who ya gonna call?
Dear people getting sand in their vagina over a joke:
Stop getting sand in your vagina over a joke.

Love,
Renmazuo
-- 
==| http://www.unos-guild.net |==

Kug
Your Long Distance DPS Service Provider - Unlimited Texting!
well put, Ren.

Daikyll
Marines hit people. It's what they do. That and gnaw the furniture. Until they are 40, there is very little you can do to stop a Marine from hitting people or chewing on the furniture.

As they age, they do learn and tend to migrate to laying upon the couch and drinking beer.
-- 
Got MILF? I love my MILF mustache.

Daikyll = Shinkunoleon's Forum name

Dulin
Marksman 4 Life - TAKIN' IT BACK
Actually, just approaching it from the theosophical standpoint, the professor did get exactly what he asked for, in exactly the predictable way. Another example is a parable-esque joke/story I first hear on <i>The West Wing</i>, though I may not get it word-for-word right:

A deeply religious man lives along the upper Mississippi in an area prone to heavy flooding. A massive storm system is coming in, there's already been a lot of rain, and the forecasters are predicting there'll be heavy flooding, and people should consider evacuating, just in case.

The man thinks to himself, "That's alright, God will protect me."

Sure enough, the rains come, the flood comes. As the water is rising in the street, a guy pulls up in a truck and offers to take the religious man out of the flood zone.

The man says, "That's alright, God will save me."

A short time later, as the water continues to rise, a rowboat comes along, and the folks in it offer to take the man out of the flooded area.

A little while later, the flood has risen further, and the man is on the roof of his house. A helicopter comes overhead and lowers a rope ladder to take him to safety.

The water rises further, and he drowns. When he gets to heaven, he asks God, "Why didn't you save me?"

God replies, "I gave you a warning. I sent you a truck, a boat, and a helicopter. What more do you want?"

The lesson here? Bolts from the blue don't happen. If there is a deific figure, 99% of the time and then some, (s)he acts through earthly means and earthly agents. With that in mind, to openly declare 'God, if you exist, <do X> in <timeframe Y>', is in many ways not an invitation, but a demand for some people to feel an obligation to perform as those earthly agents. It is a technique that has been used to motivate rational actors into less than rational actions for millenia.
-- 
FIXME: http://i.imgur.com/dKZjT3D.png

sefoniel
Arch Druid (at least according to BA!)
quote:
Originally posted by Renmazuo:
Dear people getting sand in their vagina over a joke:
Stop getting sand in your vagina over a joke.

Love,
Renmazuo
Dear people that like lame jokes.
Tell better jokes.

Love,
The rest of us.
-- 
FIXME: http://pics.livejournal.com/skyknyt/pic/000d5kxy

Pages: 1 2 3